The Church of Aghios Nikolaos

The church of Aghios Nikolaos, the patron saint of sailors, was built next to the port, in one of the most beautiful parts of the city.

According to the inscription on the foundation stone, the church of Aghios Nikolaos was moved from inside the walled city to the shore on the wishes of the Venetian superintendent of the fleet Agostino Sagredo, in 1713.

Sagredo chose this site
, outside the city walls and next to the sea, as the church was dedicated to sailors.

The modern church of Aghios Nikolaos must be more recent and was consecrated in 1836.

The church is in the basilica style, with a flat roof, known as 'the heavens', which is common to Italian style churches.


Today, it is well worth seeing the carved wooden chancel with its pulpit; the large despotic icons, which date from 1848 to 1849, as well as the central chandelier from Odessa and the bishop's throne. The fa├žade and bell tower are later additions to the church.

    se29        se30

The exact location of the Church Aghios Nikolaos can be found in Section Map.