Sights Αrchaeological Sites - Points of Interest

The Monastery of St. Theodosios (Panariti)


For the citizens of the prefecture of Argolida, this Monastery holds a spiritual, religious significance. It rests just outside the region of "Panariti", roughly 3km away; it was erected back in 880 AD by the obscure, unknown monk Theodosios, who, later on, was sanctified. Following his Assumption (922AD), the Abbey was left deserted and came back to life in early 16th century.

In the beginning of the Venetian reign, the "Chortatsi" Cretan family, friends to the Venetians, were granted the administration of the Abbey, until it was finally devolved to the property of the Greek Estates, in 1835. 

The recorded year of 1942 seems highly important, since the Abbey was administered to nuns and thus, became a nunnery.

Since then, the nuns have contributed and conscientiously performed their duties, involving themselves in charitable and spiritual causes, while catering for the harmonious coexistence of the complex with the surrounding, environing it.

That said, the Abbey boasts a remarkable building structure, composed of churches, guestrooms and nun-solitary chambers. The first chapel to come across commemorates "The Sacred Summon"; a meeting of St. Theodosios with his contemporary St. Peter. Tradition makes mention of a miraculous event in the course of the "meeting", when St. Theodosios welcomed St Peter, holding his hood filled with burning coal, much like a censer, a thurible, without getting burnt, whatsoever.

                          The Abbey's "Katholikon"

The "Katholikon" shadows the complex's centre in an impressive way. Speculation of it being Byzantine has yet to be confirmed, possibly owing to the fact that it has undergone sweeping changes and deformations within the years.

    se213   se214   se215
                                                                                  Views of the Monastery's Dormitories

The "Catholicon" (else written) is comprised of two churches, one dedicated to the founder, St. Theodosios, (with an adjoining wall-painting of the saint) and the second one, celebrating "The Transfiguration of the Christ". Let it not be forgotten that the visitor can also look at the chapel, memorializing John the Baptist.

On the Monastery's south lies the hermitage of the saint, which has become a church, in honor of the Holy Cross.

    se216   se217   se218
          Interior view of the "Katholikon"                     St.Theodosios' hermitage                               Exterior View of the hermitage

The exact location of Church can be tracked in the section: Map