The Sagredo Gate
This gate takes its name from the general superintendent of the fleet, Agostino Sagredo, and dates from 1713, the time of the second Venetian occupation of the city.
According to the inscription decorating the gate, Sagredo designed the gate in order for soldiers to have easier access to the lower city from the castle on the Acronauplia, by means of a short road.
It should be remembered that from 1686 civilian habitation had been prohibited in the castle, which since then had been used solely as a fort, and occupied only by military personnel.
The exact location of the Church Sagredo Gate can be found in Section Map.