The Monastery of Aghia Moni (Aria)


The Monastery of Aghia Moni is close to the suburb of Areia, 3 kilometres north east of Nauplion. The Katholicon of the Monastery dates from around the middle of the 12th century and since 1875 has been dedicated to Zoodochos Pighi, literally, 'the source of life'

It is one the most important churches of the middle Byzantine period and is in excellent condition.


According to its foundation inscription, which was inlaid into the exterior wall to the right of the main entrance, the church was built with donations from the Bishop of Argos and Nauplion, Leo, who had it constructed in 1149.


The church is mainly of architectural interest, as the original paintings and decorations have not survived.



The architectural type of church is a cross-in-square of the four columned type with dome; and forms, along with other churches of 12th and 13th century Argolis, a special group in the Greek school of Architecture.

Foundation Inscription 

The other churches, which are within a short distance on the Argolian Plane are: The Dormition of the Virgin in the village of Chonika; Aghia Sotira in Plataniti and The Dormistion of the Virgin in the village of Merbakas or Aghia Triada.

    se197   se198   se199     
                                                                                 Views of the Katholicon of the Monastery

                                                                                 The famous monastic spring

Just outside the grounds of the monastery is the monastic spring, which is famous for its water. Some identify this spring with the ancient Kanathos, which was mentioned by the 2nd century AD traveller Pausanias.

Today, the Monastery of Aghia Moni is a women's retreat and is under the auspices of Bishopric of Argolis.

The exact location of the The Monastery of Aghia Moni can be found in Section Map.