Sights Αrchaeological Sites - Points of Interest

Kolokotronis Park

The centre of the park is dominated by a monumental statue on horseback: the hero of the Greek revolution, Theodoros Kolokotronis. It is one of the most important works of neo-Hellenic sculpture and was created by the Tinian sculptor Lazaros Sochos in Paris.

It is made of a copper alloy and is placed on a monumental stone pedestal. The 'old man of Moria', as Theodoros Kolokotronis was known, is depicted on horseback, holding the reins in his left hand and showing the way forward with his right. The whole work is impressive and the proud form of Kolokotronis exudes an air of greatness.

The cost for the acquisition of the statue was exceptionally high, and a nationwide appeal was necessary to raise the funds. It was moulded in 1894 at the Thiebaut foundry in Paris and in 1895 it was transported to Greece. The pedestal, a donation from the appeal court judge, Nicholas Kotsakis, was designed in Paris by the brothers Tiero and was constructed in 1900 in Athens at the marble workshop of Ioannis Chaldoupis.

The statue was unveiled in 1901. A similar statue, by the same artist, can be found in Athens in front of the old parliament building.


Theodoros Kolokotronis, one of the most important figures in the Greek struggle for freedom, lived in Nauplion for many years, as did many of the well-known wartime leaders. In fact he was given a house in Syntagma Square, as well as land near the entrance to the city, in the modern Argous Street, together with the Chapel of Aghii Theodori, which survives to this day.


The exact location of Kolokotronis Park can be found in Section Map.