New Roino

New Roino of Argolida is a village, seven kilometers away from Nafplio, built on a hillside overlooking Nafplio. The name "Roino" comes from the word "mountain" which has been transformed. Its residents are overwhelming Arcadians who came from Roino of Arcadia and moved in at the beginning of the twentieth century. Current residents of the village have not forgotten about their origin. They feel Arcadians and at the first opportunity they visit Old Roino. Usually these opportunities appear when the villagers celebrate St. George and the Prophet Elijah.


At the beginning of the twentieth century, the town of Roino in Arcadia, which during the period of Ottoman Empire, concentrated residents of the entire Peloponnese, having 1000 inhabitants in 1900 and being the centre of the entire region Falkanthos, began to be evacuated. The migration before 1950 led residents of Roino in many parts of the world. America, Canada, Australia and Germany accepted resident immigrants, who could not make progress in the mountain of Menalo at an altitude 1100-1200 meters.


Those who have not followed the path of the exile came to Argolida. They knew the area, because the winter brought their flocks there. They travelled from Roino to Tripoli and then ascended the mountain pass, passing by the location tourniquet and lower in winter at quarters of Argolida lasting a week trip.

The first settlement took place around 1915. In 1920 the MP Tourkovasilis helped to allow the creation of the church of the village, Saint Marina. The church was the centre of the village until 1963 when the new church of Saint Marina was founded, which exists until now. The villagers got their first clergy around 1930 on Papanastasios' period, when the expropriation of properties took place, the Monastery of St. Demetrius Karakalas. The first school was founded in 1952 in the village, with one teacher present.


It is worth mentioning that the teacher Aristodimos Trigazis from Zaharo of Helia was a memorable personality who played a key role in the course of New Roino present status quo. It was he who accomplished with the leaders of the village to secure the first water, electricity, a first configuration in the village, the new church of Saint-Marina from 1959 to 1969. Trigazis "knew how to convince" (as the locals say) and the Deputy Minister of National Defence during Tsirimokos period, Papadimitriou from Nafplio, gave subsidies.

                          Holy Church of Saint Marina

Roino became a separate community from the neighbouring St. Adrianos in 1966, while under the reform of Kapodistrias in 1998; New Roino belonged to the Municipality of Tiryns. Finally the new reform of Kalikratis joins New Roino alongside the entire municipality of New Tiryns with Nafplio.

                                                                         The Elementary School of Roino

Nowadays, the majority of residents of New- Roino ( 2011) are farmers and traders in agricultural products, supplying the large capital, Athens and major cities nearby Nafplio and Argos, with food .The contemporary stockmen are fewer than these of the past.


In recent years, at the areas of New Roino, several new homes have been erected, other permanent, other holiday homes. Nowadays, the demand for plots of land is relatively large, as the distance from the village to Athens makes the village intriguing to the residents of Athens.

In the village, there is a central square, named by Senior General, Theodoros Kolokotronis and this is not just a coincidence. Many ancestors of the present inhabitants had fought alongside the "Old Man of the Morea" (as Theodoros Kolokotronis was called). Near the village there is a picturesque rock "Long Lithari."


The hundreds of stairs lead to the chapel of Prophet Elias. The religious festival takes place at the "Long Lithari" on Ascension Day. The village offers cafes and taverns, where the visitors can taste traditional delicacies.


Theodoros Kolokotronis Square - center of the village (Lat: 37.61608836214346, Long: 22.858766913384784)

                                                           Panoramic View from the chapel of Prophet Elias